Sunday, August 14, 2011

THE RISE OF THE CREATIVE CLASS

Today I started reading the best seller book "The Rise Of The Creative Class" by Richard Florida. This is actually the second time I read the book. I read it for the first time in 2009 but with all this creativity going around I felt the need to read it again and refresh my memory.

The paragraph that captured my attention the most while reading today was the following:

"Relegating vast numbers of people to do rote work is a dreadful waste of human capabilities. For the creative age, it is both morally and economically inefficient. The real need is to bring more people into creative work, to create more markets and opportunities to tap the creative capabilities of far greater numbers of people."

Dear friends, today I want to encourage you to explore your creative side. Creativity is not only for musicians, artists, and cinematographers, it's also for scientists and engineers, all of those in charge of creating new things. God gave us all the capability to be creative, believe or not you too have it in you. 

So, why am I talking about "The Rise Of The Creative Class" because while planning to write this next post I thought it would be the perfect title for it. My mother and I are trying to polish up our apartment a little bit because where having some guests coming from Spain next week. Ever since we moved here a year and a half ago after my father past away we haven't really done anything great to it, we kind of didn't care that much. Now we're starting to care a little bit more. I was looking around our place trying to find interesting things to use and I came upon this painting I did two years ago, just before I went on a perennial artistic strike (I think it was actually my last painting). Since now I'm finally more in touch with my creative side and determined to explore all my artistic talents, I decided to take it out of the closet, dust it off and take it to get it framed so we can hang it on our living room wall. Who cares if people like it or not, my mom seems to love it (of course she's my #1 fan). 

This painting is quite big, I don't remember it's measurements but it's big, which makes it perfect for our living room wall that's completely EMPTY. I guess it's finally time for new beginnings. Let's see where all this takes us. I'll keep you posted.

















I told you it was big, It's like the size of a regular bed.




Pin It

No comments: